HostMonster has proved to be a reliable company that provides services to both business owners and individuals. Besides the typical services HostMonster offers, the web hosting services also have other free things that are an enormous help to those new to business like form-mail scripts, website scripts, social networking scripts, poll and survey software, and mailing lists.
- Unlimited space and bandwidth
- Unlimited domain hosting
- Unlimited email accounts
- U.S.-based customer service
- Free online stores
- Higher pricing
- Lacks branding and design
- Hidden costs
- Charges for backups
Who is HostMonster best for?
HostMonster is a great web hosting company for those looking to start an online store or who are looking to have multiple domains. Individuals will find it a good option as well. It is a reputable company for those who are intimidated by website tools because it has a user-friendly dashboard that is easy to use, even for those with limited web skills or knowledge.
It is an affordable option to get those who need a cheap web hosting service to get started as long as you realize you may need to switch at renewal to avoid higher costs.
What are the pros and cons of HostMonster?
HostMonster has many pros and a few cons everyone using them should consider. However, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. Both are listed below.
- Unlimited email accounts: The fact that HostMonster gives clients in all hosting plans unlimited email accounts is an advantage that isn’t always included in competitor’s offerings. Being able to personalize email accounts for your team or departments helps in branding your company with a professional look.
- U.S.-based customer service: Having customer support based in the United States is becoming more important these days as businesses are looking for quick responses to problems. Knowing you can easily reach someone without a lot of effort is a definite plus, especially if you are hosting multiple domains.
- Free online stores: This is an advantage that few other web hosting companies offer. Being able to put products up on your page in a store for free can be a great jumpstart to get merchandise sales going. A website builder is available with a drag and drop editor and add-ons to accept credit cards on your site.
- Unlimited domain hosting: HostMonster offers unlimited domain registrations for those on the higher-tiered plans, which is an awesome advantage for those with multiple websites or who are building and managing websites for others. This also ensures scalability if you are looking to grow with multiple sites.
- Unlimited space and bandwidth: Unlimited space and bandwidth are the two things that demonstrate scalability with web hosting services and HostMonster has both for all plans. Most companies only offer unlimited bandwidth and space on the higher-tiered plans.
- Higher pricing : There aren’t enough discounts or plans that make HostMonster a lower-cost option compared to its competitors. It has similar pricing to larger and more well-known website building and hosting brands but without the advantages of being a large, well-known brand.
- Lacks branding and design: User reviews say there’s a lack of branding for HostMonster itself, leading one to believe they won’t have a lot to offer website building clients. Its images are somewhat lacking as they are cheaper stock photos with designs that are more than 15 years old. This can be a huge disadvantage for those who want to stay current with the trends and keep their website looking fresh
- Hidden costs: The first is the additional costs when your plan renews and the annual prices jump back to the regular price rather than the introductory discount price. It’s not uncommon though. Many web hosts offer discounted pricing for the first year. Also, the free domain name is somewhat misleading. Hosting reviews say those who cancel their account are charged a non-refundable fee to keep the domain name.
- Charges for backups: It is uncommon for web hosting companies to charge additionally to backup your website, but HostMonster charges $2.99 a month for backups. While that isn’t a lot of money, it is an upsell that other web hosting companies tend to include for free in hosting packages.
What are its top features?
HostMonster has some elements that make it unique among others in the marketplace. Here are some features that make it a worthwhile option.
Fast setup with instant provisioning
HostMonster promises instant provisioning of their servers for those who opt for VPS or dedicated hosting. This means you will be able to launch your site faster because there won’t be a long, complicated call to verify the information. Servers will be ready in seconds.
Free site migrations
This can be a great benefit for some people, but not everyone. It is only free for one WordPress site and the site must fit certain criteria. Also, the migration must happen within 30 days of signing up.
The control panel is clean and without clutter. That makes it easy to use and helps you in managing your site without a lot of complications.
It also has a cPanel, which is the industry standard, that is accessible through the advanced button on the sidebar. More hosting-related features are available there that help you manage everything on your site.
No surprises exist on HostMonster’s backend. The backend is the first thing you see when you sign up so there are no screens between you and your project. Options most people use the most are in the center and highly visible with information on the server.
The backend is simple without ads and upsells cluttering it. It also doesn’t use a secondary proprietary backend, making it simple to understand and use.
Good apps are available
HostMonster uses MOJO marketplace for themes, scripts, and apps. This gives the web hosting company a good selection that is easy to install. All are professionally done and prove to be an advantage over other web hosting companies.
What hosting types can users expect?
Those hoping to use HostMonster can expect to use one of three types of web hosting options.
- VPS hosting
- Dedicated servers
The shared web host is the most affordable type of plan you can get. It is where several website owners use the same FTP server. While that can cut costs, it also means there is a chance of limited bandwidth, space, and lower uptimes.
VPS (virtual private server) hosting combines the best of shared hosting plans and dedicated servers. It allows website owners to have their own space and bandwidth while keeping the lower cost of shared hosting.
Dedicated servers are when a website owner has a server set aside for their company. This is the most expensive option but works well for those who have a high volume of traffic or a large e-commerce store.
What’s performance and reliability like for HostMonster?
HostMonster has an uptime guarantee, with the average hitting around 99.93 percent. It had around five hours of downtime over a year of tracking. The worst months were May, July, and October.
What kind of security is in place?
HostMonster has an array of security options to protect your websites from malicious programs or people. That is important because most WordPress sites get hacked through their hosting account.
Overall, HostMonster has one of the best security protocols among web hosting providers on the market. It leads the way with several extra security features.
HostMonster includes security features like SSL certificates (Secure Sockets Layers) support, optional site backups, and special features like Hotlink Protection, SSH (Secure Shell Protocol) access, SpamAssassin protection, and malware monitoring.
What’s the cost of HostMonster?
Introductory plans are incredibly low-cost but remember they will jump to the regular price at renewal. While those prices aren’t terrible, they are higher than most others on the market.
Here is a look at the three plans.
- Basic Plan: This is $4.95 a month with it renewing at $11.99 a month. It includes one website, unmetered bandwidth, 50 GB of storage, and five email accounts.
- Plus Plan: This plan starts at $6.95 a month with it renewing at $14.99 a month. It offers unlimited websites and email, unmetered bandwidth, and unlimited storage, plus one spam expert feature.
- Choice Plus Plan: This place starts at $6.95 a month and renews at $17.99 a month. It offers unlimited websites and email, along with unmetered bandwidth and storage. It also has one spam experts feature, one domain privacy plus protection feature, and a CodeGuard Basic feature included. All plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
What can users expect in terms of customer support?
Technical support can be hit and miss, depending on which aspect of it you are using. HostMonster hosting has all the typical customer support features like 24/7 live chat, 24/7 email, and a phone support team. It also issues support tickets and has a knowledge base.
Live chat, email, and phone support show no problems, and response times are quick.
While most of the support features are fine, the knowledge base isn’t as updated as it should be. It is designed poorly, has broken links, and the tutorials aren’t quite as helpful as competitors like BlueHost or HostGator.
How easy is it to use the interface with HostMonster?
The interface with HostMonster is intuitive, meaning it has prompts and helps as you move along. It also makes suggestions based on how you answer certain questions. Some sections help you get to quick links with access to areas you may use most. It also includes a traditional cPanel layout that is great for more experienced users.
You can also add email accounts from your domain directly from the cPanel to create a professional business email. Having control over your interface makes it easy to manage your website.
Does HostMonster have free domain names?
First-time users get a free domain for the first year as a customer. Free domains are part of several plans. That includes even the lower-cost plans that work for both small to medium sites. Having a domain name at the same company as your web hosting plan is a convenience.
Does HostMonster have a money-back guarantee?
Yes, there is a 30-day money-back guarantee. The guarantee doesn’t include additional options. That means additional services, like your domain purchasing or other add ons, will still be billed to you. The charge to purchase your domain is typically larger than that of the initial hosting period, so it isn’t economically sound to cancel and use the money-back guarantee unless you are willing to give up add-ons or buy the domain.
What features does HostMonster offer that are unlimited?
HostMonster packages include several unlimited features. They include unlimited disk storage, unlimited domain hosting, unlimited add-on domains, and unlimited parked domains. These are among other features like the website builder and FTP access.
Does HostMonster offer any compensation for downtime?
No, HostMonster doesn’t offer any compensation for downtime in its system. However, HostMonster has an uptime of 99.96 percent, which meets industry standards. There isn’t a lot of chance your website will be down with that amount of uptime.
CHK_ YOUR NAME RIGHT NOW
Use our engine to quickly check your content right now!