There are dozens of web host providers on the market, with many popping up in the last decade or so. Finding the right hosting solution for a website can be a challenge, especially because the industry tends to use a lot of tech jargon. For those who aren’t site-savvy, it can be a daunting task. To help simplify the process, we’ll explore one particular web host: A2.
You’ll find information about the company, the pros and cons of using them as a web host, and so much more in the guide below.
- Loading speed
- Uptime guarantee
- Site migration is free
- Works with different content management systems
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- You pay for a domain name
- Renewal rates go up sharply
Who is A2 best for?
A2 has grown into a great solution for small businesses. With its lightning-fast speeds and minimal downtime, it’s ideal for companies.
The company actually started much like other small businesses do, in a two-room office in Ann Arbor, Michigan. From its humble beginnings, it has grown into a reliable web host with multiple server locations and staff scattered across the globe.
What are the pros and cons of A2?
- Loading speed: A2 has one of the fastest page loading speeds of all hosting providers. Research shows in the last year, they have averaged a speed of 285 ms, which for those who aren’t tech-savvy, is a great speed.
- Uptime guarantee: A2 has done a lot of work to improve its uptime. When the company first launched, it was barely hitting the industry standard uptime of 99.93%. Now, the company has a 99.9% uptime guarantee, which is fairly standard across all hosting services.
- Security: Security is a real concern these days. It feels as though there are daily reports of data breaches, so it’s important to work with a hosting company that makes security a priority. A2 has 24/7 server monitoring that watches for the slightest upset in the system that could indicate a malware attack. A2 also deploys additional firewalls and uses encryption to mitigate risks.
- Site migration is free: You read that correctly, hosting packages include free site migration, which means they will move your site from its current host to A2 for you. It takes the hassle out of switching hosting companies.
- Works with different content management systems: Web developers can use any type of management system they’d like. From WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, OpenChart, and Magento – the choice is yours.
- 30-day money-back guarantee: A2 is willing to let users try their service with a 30-day money-back guarantee. There are a handful of hosting companies that offer this kind of deal, and it’s a good one to have. It gives people peace of mind knowing that they can change services if they’re not happy.
- You pay for a domain name: Some hosting services throw in a free domain name, but A2 doesn’t. The cost of a domain name is not included in any of the packages. Expect to pay about $15 a year for a domain name.
- Renewal rates go up sharply: For some, A2hosting.com has steep renewal rates. They have introductory rates that last for a year and then users will notice a price jump. How much? It’s about 4x the cost of the initial package. For those who choose to cancel, there’s a strict 15-day cancellation window. If you want to cancel but don’t do it within that time frame, the contract requires users to pay for the next renewal plan.
What are the top features?
Wondering about the features A2 users have access to? Here’s a look at the best features from this web hosting company:
A2 offers something called Turbo Boost, which covers an array of speed-increasing perks. Users get faster page loads, improved conversion rates, faster CPU performance, and turbo servers to support their site.
SSD drives, or solid-state drives, can enhance speed and performance. SSD storage is more reliable too, so it’s an added bonus to anyone who works with A2 as a web host.
Cloud hosting is one of the newest features that web hosting services are providing to users. Essentially, it stores all of your website data in virtual servers, which makes it easy to access for both back-end users and website visitors.
A2 uses a content delivery network (CDN) of grouped servers that work together to provide fast upload times. The bottom line here is that users get access to great website speeds, so website visitors won’t be sitting around waiting for your site to load.
Customer support is available when you need it. While you might not need support that often when you do, it will likely be a bit of an emergency. You’ll want prompt service, which A2 offers.
A2 backs up your site daily, and it’s a free service. It’s another feature that users need but might overlook. Having regular backups – that happen automatically – is an ideal situation for time-strapped business owners and web developers.
What types of hosting is available?
A2 has a variety of hosting options available, including:
Users have four different shared hosting plans to choose from. The Turbo plans provide the fastest speeds, but they are also on the more expensive end of shared hosting.
Host a WordPress site with A2 and let them handle the updates and security. WordPress hosting is a popular choice and starts at around $3 a month.
When you’ve outgrown shared hosting, you might find VPS hosting a better solution. With VPS hosting, your site still shares a server with other sites, but there are only one or two others that you share with as opposed to dozens. Both managed and unmanaged options are available.
Have a server all to yourself with dedicated hosting. For those with complex sites or high traffic, dedicated hosting is the way to go. It’s the most expensive choice, but the customization is unparalleled.
What’s performance and reliability like for A2?
A2 optimized its performance and reliability. When it comes to picking a web hosting service, the main purpose is to find a reliable host that keeps your site online 24/7. A2 does that and more. With their 99.99% uptime guarantee, incredibly fast page loads, and state-of-the-art hardware, software, and networks in place, users are more than satisfied by A2’s reliability and performance.
What kind of security is in place?
Let’s talk about security. Cybersecurity is one of those things that everyone needs but isn’t really sure what – specifically – is needed. A2 ticks all of the boxes when it comes to protecting a site and its visitors.
A2 has Secure Shell Protocol (SSH), which provides secure remote logins, and is the industry standard.
A2 also has SSL certificates, which is another form of encryption that protects the site; HackScan, which is continuously scanning for malware attacks; and added protections in place for all of its data centers.
All of these security features are built into A2 packages. In other words, users don’t pay more to have added security, it comes standard no matter which web hosting plan is selected.
What’s the cost of A2?
A2 has many different plans, each offering different hosting options, storage types, and prices. The cheapest plan is Startup Shared, which offers shared storage, for just under $2 a month. Shared hosting plans are always the most affordable because multiple sites are housed in one server. The resources of the servers, like the Cpanel and bandwidth, are shared.
The additional plans are Shared Drive Hosting, Unmanaged VPS, Managed VPS, and Dedicated Servers.
VPS hosting is the middle-of-the-road option for people who have larger sites and get more traffic but don’t need a dedicated server. The managed version of VPS hosting from A2 costs about $30 a month. This pricing is comparable to other similar services.
For a dedicated server, users can expect to pay about $100 a month. Dedicated hosting is the most expensive choice since a website has its own server.
What can users expect in terms of customer support?
The customer support from A2 exceeds that of other companies. A2 offers a full support team with help accessible by phone, email, or chat. Many reviews of A2 mention the stellar customer support and the ability to reach someone quickly. There’s also a knowledge base of articles that users can refer to as a self-serve option.
Some people overlook customer service when they’re selecting web hosting services, but it’s important to consider. At some point, every user needs help or has a question, so be sure to research customer service for each of the web hosting providers you’re considering.
Does A2 handle email accounts?
Yes. A2 does offer unlimited email accounts.
Does A2 offer reseller hosting?
Yes. A2 does offer reseller hosting. There are several different packages for this particular use, which start at $16 a month and increase with more added features.
Can A2 handle e-commerce sites?
While some hosting services aren’t cut out for online stores, A2 is. Included within its packages, A2 offers a cPanel (control panel) administration interface,
Softaculous, to install a wide range of e-commerce applications like PrestaShop, Magento, OpenCart, and more.
Does A2 offer WordPress hosting?
Yes. A2 can handle a variety of different content management systems, including WordPress. WordPress is a popular management system because of its ease of operation. A2 works seamlessly with any WordPress site.
What’s a free SSL certificate and why is it important?
An SSL certificate provides a layer of security to websites. The “certificate” is actually a piece of code that lives on a site and enables an encrypted connection. Think of it like sealing a letter before mailing it.
Can I buy a domain through A2 hosting?
Yes, A2 Hosting offers domain registration as well as hosting services. Both have a number of features included in the package. It is beneficial to have both the domain registration and hosting services under one umbrella company. That makes it convenient, especially if you ever need support.
How is A2’s live support?
Live support is less impressive than dealing with a customer service representative through email. The answers are short and blunt, impersonal and they send links and screenshots without any context to them. They appear not to want to take a lot of time with you to really answer your questions.
CHK_ YOUR NAME RIGHT NOW
Use our engine to quickly check your content right now!